Thursday, April 21, 2011

Being Consistent

Consistent. "Constantly adhering to the same principles, course, form, etc." (Thank you, dictionary.com)

Why is it, that as human beings, we have such a difficult time being consistent? I am primarily speaking for myself, but I feel that there are many others out there who struggle with this same exact principle. I desire to be more consistent with many areas of my life. Prayer. Exercise. Eating right. Being a good friend. Being a good wife. Staying in touch with friends. Keeping my house clean. Leading by example. Working with my dog on his behavior problems (a story for another post). And the list simply goes on, and on, and on.

I am not consistent, because when it all comes down to it, I am lazy and have excuses for anything and everything. I can justify doing and/or not doing something in my mind, and convince myself that whichever I have chosen will be "ok." It's "ok" to eat Chick-Fil-A for lunch (even though I'm trying to get in shape, not just for summer, but FOREVER) even though I now know that my entire caloric intake is in a #1 meal. YIKES. But one won't hurt, right? I mean, while I'm running errands, I'll burn some of those calories, right? Surely I'll look better than 50% of the other women out there. (I hate that I think this way!)

Or what about this? Saying my prayers at night and thanking God for everything He has done, only to realize the next morning that I only got about halfway through and fell asleep?? Sure, I say small prayers during the day, but I would compare them more to the likes of "text messages" than to the "emails" I pray at night. Why am I not more consistent in waking up 15-20 minutes early for quiet time before the day starts, than giving God what is left of me at the end of a long day? Because I am lazy. I don't even want to imagine what life would be like if God only gave me His full attention after He was done saving the rest of the world - YEESH!

So not really a New Year's Resolution, but more like my Lifetime Resolution. I desire to be more consistent. Less lazy. The older I get, the more I recognize God's grace in my everyday life. And I am thankful, and constantly amazed. Thank you, Jesus, for dying on the cross. For me. Lazy, little, me.You have saved me from myself, and I am unworthy.

3 comments:

  1. Love the truth of this post. I think most of us, if we were truthful, would admit the same thing. Praise the Lord He knows our heart and our desires; and, though we don't deserve it, He graciously blesses us anyway.

    Miss you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could not have worded it better myself. I guess that is the true beauty and comfort of grace. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you, girl. Thank you, Lord, for giving me what I DON'T deserve and for NOT giving me what I DO deserve!

    ReplyDelete